Earlier this week our Illinois birth accident lawyer shared information about the risks presented by certain products meant to protect newborns, like crib bumpers. We also alluded to other common ways that infants and toddlers are severely injured by seemingly innocuous products or objects, such as window blind cords. Unfortunately, accidents still strike even though awareness of these dangers has spread.
For example, the Daily Mail just reported on the tragic blind cord accident that has just left a two-year old girl permanently brain damaged and paralyzed. According to reports the young victim was put to bed by her parents last week at her regular time. However, without her parents knowing, the toddler crawled out of bed and began walking along a window near her room. However, the loop in the blind cord somehow became tangled on the girl’s neck. It began choking her and depriving oxygen to the brain. It was only a fluke by which the girl’s father happened to be walking by his daughter’s room and saw her hanging unconscious from the window. He immediately began performing CPR, and an ambulance was called.
Fortunately, the emergency rescuers were able to stabilize the girl but not before permanent brain damage resulted. The family reports that the child will have severe repercussions on the rest of her life. She will no longer be able to walk, talk, or feed herself. Obviously she will require close life-long care. The child was in a coma for a week after the accident, and has been in a rehabilitation facility for the severely disabled since her release from the hospital.