Law.com recently reported on a $10.2 million verdict that was awarded to a Florida couple whose son passed away after suffering brain damage during his birth. During delivery, the medical staff failed to notice that the baby had an umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. Consequently, the baby boy was deprived of oxygen and suffered permanent brain damage.
An U.S. District Judge had originally awarded the couple $60.5 million in 2005 after they filed a medical malpractice lawsuit. That verdict would have been used to provide medical care for the child during his lifetime. Following his birth injury, baby Kevin was unable to speak, sit, or eat. He required constant, around the clock attention. His saliva had to be constantly sucked out of his mouth to prevent him from choking. The boy also required a special feeding tube in order to eat and survive.
Kevin passed away at the age of three following a brain seizure. After their son’ death, the couple filed a new, wrongful death lawsuit. The judge awarded the couple $5 million each as well as medical and funeral expenses.